Plant Protection Association of India
The Plant Protection Association of India (PPAI) is a scientific society established in 1972. It is non-profit organization, registered under the Andhra Pradesh (Telangana Area) Public Societies Registration Act, 1350 Fasli (Act I of 1350 F.) on 4th December, 1972. Its membership is open to all those scientists interested in promotion of plant protection and is dedicated for the cause. It operates from ICAR-National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources, Regional Station, Hyderabad through an executive council and an editorial board duly elected once in two years. It has strength over 426 life member, 67 annual members, and 26 foreign members and has 42 Institutional subscribers.
The association publishes a scientific journal called the Indian Journal of Plant Protection (IJPP). Four issues of the journal are published every year in March, June, September and December. So far 46 volumes have been published. The journal indexed / abstracted in Indian Citation Index, Bioscience, Chemical abstracts, Review of Applied Entomology, Review of Plant Pathology and other CAB abstracts and Agrindex of FAO.
The aims and objectives of society include 1) To advance the cause of plant protection by encouraging and promoting plant protection research and education in the country. 2) To provide a forum for dissemination of information related to plant protection through a journal. 3) To bring about exchange of view and ideas of plant protection by organizing lectures, discussion, seminars, symposium etc.4). To maintain a link between plant protection workers in India. 5) To facilitate closer association among members and other scientific workers in India and abroad. 6) To involve in any such activity as will be useful for the advancement of adoption of plant protection.
The society also organizes seminar/symposia and workshops on various themes. The following conference have been conducted by association.
- 2019 – Associated in organizing “XIX International Plant Protection Congress” (IPPC2019)
- 2019 – Red Palm Weevil Symposium:- Outsmarting the Red Palm weevil: A Global Challenge during XIX International Plant Protection Congress (IPPC2019)
- 2018 – Brainstorming session on "Emerging Plant Protection Technologies: Opportunities and Challenges"
- 2016 – Conference on National Priorities in Plant Health Management
- 2012– International Conference on Plant Health Management for Food Security
- 2007 – Use of Organic Waste Utilization and Eco-friendly Technologies for Crop Protection
- 2002 – Resources Management in Plant Protection During 21st Century.
- 1997 – Plant Protection Towards Sustainability.
- 1995 – National Symposium on Integrated Pest management and Environment.
- 1994 – National Workshop on use of Pheromones in Integrated Pest Management.
- 1992 – National Seminar on Changing Scenario in Pests and Pest management.
- 1988 – National Workshop on Plant Protection in Horticultural Crops.
- 1986 – National Seminar on Plant Protection in Field Crops.
The Society also arranges popular lecture every now and then by eminent scientists for the benefit of its members and conducts an Annual General Body Meeting with technical session. The society brought several publications including proceedings of national workshops, seminar/symposia.
The society gives awards to encourage scientists and to promote plant protection in India, the following awards have been instituted and given through the association.
- Dr RDVJ Prasad Rao Memorial Award
- Sri Dodla Raghava Reddy Memorial Award for outstanding contribution in plant protection.
- Dr D Bap reddy Memorial Awards for IPM
- Smt. Kavuri Sarada Memorial Award for the best paper published in the journal
- Fellow, Plant Protection Association of India