Progression of Farmer Producer Organisations in India


Abstract views: 981 / PDF downloads: 478

Authors

  • SUBODH AGARWAL Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar, Haryana 125 004, India
  • S K GOYAL Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar, Haryana 125 004, India

https://doi.org/10.56093/ijas.v92i12.118068

Keywords:

Compound growth rate, Farmer Producer Organisation, NABARD, SFAC

Abstract

Present study was carried out to examine the status and growth of Farmer Producer Organizations across the states in India based on the secondary data collected for the periods 2015–16 to 2020–21. It was found that SFAC and NABARD promoted 3044 FPOs registered in the country. NABARD supported 2168 FPOs (71.22%) and remaining 876 FPOs (28.78%) have been supported by SFAC. Madhya Pradesh has the largest number/share of FPOs accounting to 10.15% of the total FPOs registered throughout the country. The FPOs promoted by SFAC increased at the compound growth rate of 15.22% and those promoted by NABARD increased at the rate of 1.34% per annum. At the country level, the average number of farmers per FPO are found to be 582. In addition, about 50% of the total farmers who are members of FPOs belong to five states, namely Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, West Bengal, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu. The region-wise study revealed that central region has the highest average number of FPOs (194.67) promoted by SFAC and the average number of FPOs promoted by NABARD were found highest in southern region (634.5). The variability and CAGR was highest in north-eastern region (39.77% and 26.43%) and eastern region (9.58% and 6.17%) promoted by SFAC and NABARD, respectively. In line with the policy framework of the Govt. of India, the State Governments may introduce appropriate flexible policy to scale up FPO promotion so as to become a self-sustaining commercially viable business enterprise of the farmers’ particularly of small producers.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

References

GOI. 2020a. NABARD Portal on Farmer Producers’ Organisations. Accessed on October 31, 2020. https://nabfpo.in/images/staticFPO.html

GOI. 2020b. State-wise list of Farmer Producer Organisations in India. Accessed on October 31, 2020. http://sfacindia.com/List-of-FPO-Statewise.aspx.

GOI. 2020–21. Annual Report, Department of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, New Delhi. Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, New Delhi. https://agricoop.nic.in/sites/default/files/Web%20copy%20of%20AR%20%28Eng%29_7.pdf

Kakati S and Roy A. 2018. The scope of entrepreneurship in Farmer Producer Companies: with special reference to the state of Assam. Paper presented at National Conference on Agribusiness potentials of Assam. Department of Agricultural Economics, Assam Agriculture University, Assam and Indian Society of Agricultural Marketing, Hyderabad, India, January 30–31.

Manaswi B H, Kumar P, Prakash P, Kar A, Anbukkani P, Jha G K and Rao D U N. 2018. Progress and performance of Farmer producer organizations in India. Indian Journal of Extension Education 54(2):108–13.

NABARD Annual Report. 2017–2021. National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD). https://www.nabard.org/financialreport.aspx?cid=505&id=24

NABARD. 2019. Farmer Producers’ Organizations (FPOs): Status, Issues & Suggested Policy Reforms. National Level Paper, Potential Linked Plans (PLP). 2019-20. https://www.nabard.org/auth/writereaddata/CareerNotices/3108183411Paper%20on%20FPOs%20-%20Status%20&%20Issues.pdf.

SFAC Annual Report. 2015–2021. Small Farmers’ Agri- Business Consortium (SFAC). http://sfacindia.com/Publication.aspx#

SFAC. 2013. Impact Assessment Study of Vegetable Initiative for Urban Clusters. http://sfacindia.com/PDFs/VUIC-vol-2.pdf.

Singh G and Vatta K. 2019. Assessing the economic impacts of farmer producer organizations: a. case study in Gujarat, India. Agricultural Economics Research Review 32(Conference issue): 139–48.

Downloads

Submitted

2021-11-20

Published

2022-12-16

Issue

Section

Articles

How to Cite

AGARWAL, S., & GOYAL, S. K. (2022). Progression of Farmer Producer Organisations in India. The Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 92(12), 1490–1495. https://doi.org/10.56093/ijas.v92i12.118068
Citation