Efficacy of different botanical extracts against insect pests of pea (Makhyatmubi) of Manipur


Abstract views: 128 / PDF downloads: 12

Authors

  • Sujeeta Kharibam Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Utlou, Bishnupur 795 134, Manipur, India
  • Kangjam Bumpy Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Utlou, Bishnupur 795 134, Manipur, India
  • R K Imotomba Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Utlou, Bishnupur 795 134, Manipur, India

Keywords:

Aphids, botanicals, Helicoverpa armigera, leaf miner, pea, pod borer.

Abstract

The studies were carried out to assess the effect of four indigenous plant extracts viz., neem, marigold, periwinkle and wild sage at two different concentrations (5 and 10 per cent). A control and standard check (Thiamethoxam 25 WG) were also maintained. Three insect pests viz., aphid (Acyrthosiphon pisum), leaf miner (Chromatomyia horticola) and gram pod borer (Helicoverpa armigera) were found infesting the pea crop during the study period. Among the botanicals tested, neem 10 per cent was found to be the best effective treatment for managing all the insects as it recorded an overall mean aphid population of 3.01 reductions which was closely followed by neem 5 per cent (3.10). Periwinckle 5 per cent was found to be the least effective treatment with overall 3.59 mean populations. Similarly, neem 10 percent was proved to be effective against leaf miner and gram pod borer recording 0.87 and 1.22 overall mean population respectively which was closely followed by neem 5 per cent (0.93 and 1.27 respectively), marigold 10 per cent (1.04 and 1.30 respectively) and marigold 5 per cent (1.56 and 1.37 respectively). Highest seed yield was recorded in neem 10 per cent (427.73 kg/ha) and was closely followed by neem 5 per cent (424.96 kg/ha) while the lowest was observed in treatment with periwinkle 5 per cent (333.30 kg/ha) and was closely followed by periwinkle 10 per cent (336.06 kg/ha) and wild sage 5 per cent (363.86 kg/ha). In this study, neem was proved to be the best botanical for managing the insect pests of pea.

Additional Files

Submitted

2023-04-05

Published

2023-04-06

How to Cite

Efficacy of different botanical extracts against insect pests of pea (Makhyatmubi) of Manipur. (2023). Indian Journal of Plant Protection, 50(4), 120-126. https://epubs.icar.org.in/index.php/IJPP/article/view/135085