INFLUENCE OF LUNAR CYCLE ON OESTRUS LIKE CHARACTERISTICS AND FOLLICULAR BIOMETRY IN CROSSBRED CATTLE


Abstract views: 12 / PDF downloads: 6

Authors

  • S. Sandhiya B.V.Sc. & AH Student, Department of Veterinary Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Veterinary College and Research Institute, TANUVAS, Orathanadu – 614 625
  • S. Satheshkumar Professor and Head, Department of Veterinary Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Veterinary College and Research Institute, TANUVAS, Orathanadu – 614 625
  • S. Prakash Assistant Professor, Department of Veterinary Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Veterinary College and Research Institute, TANUVAS, Orathanadu – 614 625
  • S. Raja Assistant Professor, Department of Clinics, Veterinary College and Research Institute, TANUVAS, Orathanadu – 614 625
  • S. Alagar Assistant Professor, Department of Veterinary Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Veterinary College and Research Institute, TANUVAS, Orathanadu – 614 625

Keywords:

Crossbred cattle, oestrus, lunar cycle

Abstract

The study was conducted to document the incidence and nature of oestrus like signs and follicular biometry during the lunar and peri-lunar days in crossbred cattle. Crossbred cattle (n = 678) which were reported to be with oestrus like signs on lunar days (full moon day and new moon day) and peri-lunar days were subjected for the investigation. Only 60.6 per cent of the animals during the study period were in actual oestrus. The remaining animals (39.4%) were found to be in various reproductive statuses viz., pregnancy (17.7%), mid-cycle oestrum (6.9%) and without any oestrus characteristics (14.8 %). The diameter of the dominant follicle in cattle with oestrus signs during lunar days (10.4 ± 0.2 mm) was significantly (P < 0.05) smaller than cattle in actual oestrus during normal days (12.2 ± 0.5 mm). Exhibition of oestrous signs with smaller follicular diameter indicated the probable chances of lunar influence on the follicular dynamics, steroidogenesis and reproductive characters in cattle. 

References

Aguirre, A.A., Palomares, R.A., De Ondiz, A.D., Soto, E.R., Perea, M.S., Hernandez-Fonsec, H.J. and Perea, F.P. (2021). Lunar cycle influences reproductive performance of crossbred Brahman cows under tropical conditions. Journal of Biological Rhythms, 36: 160 - 168.

Bevington, M. (2015). Lunar biological effects and the magnetosphere. Pathophysiology, 24: 211 - 222.

De los Reyes, M., Villagran, M.L., Cepeda, R., Duchens, M., Parraguez and Urquieta, B. (2006). Histological characteristics and steroid concentrations of ovarian follicles at different stages of development in pregnant and non-pregnant dairy cows. Veterinary Research Communications, 30: 161 – 173.

Mikulecky, M. and Bounias, M. (1997). Worker honey bee hemolymph lipid composition and synodic lunar cycle periodicities. The Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, 30: 275 – 279.

Rahman M.S., Kim B.H., Takemura A., Park, C.B. and Lee Y.D. (2004). Effects of moonlight exposure on plasma melatonin rhythms in the sea grass rabbit fish, Siganus canaliculatus. Journal of Biological Rhythms, 19: 325 – 334

Rahman M.S., Morita M., Takemura, A. and Takano, K. (2003). Hormonal changes in relation to lunar periodicity in the testis of the fork tail rabbit fish, Siganus argenteus. General and Comparative Endocrinology, 131: 302 – 309

Satheshkumar, S. (2020). Period of luteal dominance determines the follicular wave pattern of oestrous cycle in crossbred cattle. The Haryana Veterinarian, 59(S1): 102 - 104.

Snedecor, G.W. and Cochran, W.G. (1994). Statistical methods [8th ed]. Iowa State University Press, USA.

Takemura, A., Susilo, E.S., Rahman, M.D. and Morita M. (2004). Perception and possible utilization of moonlight intensity for reproductive activities in a lunar-synchronized spawner, the golden rabbit fish. Journal of Experimental Zoology Part A Comparative Experimental Biology, 301: 844 – 851.

Downloads

Submitted

13-12-2023

Published

19-12-2023

How to Cite

INFLUENCE OF LUNAR CYCLE ON OESTRUS LIKE CHARACTERISTICS AND FOLLICULAR BIOMETRY IN CROSSBRED CATTLE . (2023). Indian Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Research, 52(5), 95-98. https://epubs.icar.org.in/index.php/IJVASR/article/view/146396